Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Human again

I was abducted by aliens this weekend, and my husband was forced to look after four screaming, demanding children while his replacement "wife" dozed in the recliner, ate soup, and watched television. Then got up once a day to go on a random rampage about how she really shouldn't have to be responsible for chores at a time like this, etc. While doing chores.

Actually, being abducted by aliens would have been better than what really happened...because I wouldn't have had to suffer through it, and I wouldn't have to own up to being the one who went on the random rampages. I actually got strep throat Thursday night. Only fever that night (oh, and puking! can't forget that!), but it was sleep-in-clothes-under-two-comforters fever (tested Friday night as 103+ degrees- eek). Friday morning I had a sore-ish throat that quickly turned into a throat that had apparently been repeatedly rubbed with bits of broken glass, and tonsils so swollen that when I talked, people thought I had a head cold...it was weird. My glands were so swollen and tender that I was actually scared I might have mono- even though I had it more than 10 years ago.

So I went to urgent care and got the swab down the throat (didn't hurt, didn't gag- shocking). Bit of trivia: the rapid strep culture West Health (Plymouth) uses looks just like a pregnancy test...little credit-card size piece of plastic with two windows: the "control window" (those familiar with pg tests will recognize this as the window that just lets you know the test didn't malfunction) and a window that shows a plus or minus- I kid you not. Apparently test manufacturers don't consider doctors any smarter than the rest of us. That came up negative, but the doctor was convinced it hadn't worked right, so she gave me amox. anyway (my mom has since confessed that as many times as I had strep since they came up with the rapid cultures, I always tested negative on them...and the doctor always called back two days later with a positive result and a prescription) (oh, and the overnight test was positive...way to call it, doctor!). Very little fever Saturday night, felt much better Sunday...but still didn't go to church. Who knows if someone else here is going to come down with it tomorrow- I'd hate to be responsible for spreading it. Like my...husband. Who gave it to me. But did not have to suffer the agony himself. Ahem.

Yes, I will be taking every one of the pills the doctor gave me- I always finish my course of antibiotics, silly!

Thank goodness it happened on a weekend (so that Jeff was home). Oh, and that my in-laws were kind enough to stop by Friday and let me nap with Jonah. That was awesome.

Hope all your weekends were better than mine.

No comments: