Tuesday, September 14, 2004

In the thick of it

This has been such a run-ragged week, I don't even know where to start. It's not likely to get better soon, either- I have exams on Thursday (Spanish) and Friday (Finance), and a paper on Jungian archetypes (which I have not started) due Monday. Did I mention that the paper is 10% of my grade? I could just weep.

I'm finally starting to "feel" pregnant, and the tiredness and nausea are subsiding a bit. Yesterday I got an unexpected package in the mail from my yahoogroup buddies Kristin, Kellee, and Bobbi, who sent a bunch of wonderful little things- organic ginger tea (which reminds me, I started steeping a cup approximately 3 hrs ago and never drank it), organic red raspberry leaf tea (yummy), preggie pops- which are little suckers that are supposed to help with nausea, ginger bath salts, talcum powder with ground rose petals in it, a pregnancy calendar, and a gorgeous royal-purple silk eye pillow filled with peppermint and lavender. I've never thought of myself as the eye-pillow type, but laying down with it on my face feels sooooo good, and almost decadent.

A lot of people want to know if I'm having twins again, and if I'll get an ultrasound this time (since I didn't last time). No to both! Unless my midwife specifically wants me to get an ultrasound. I'm not nearly sick enough for this to be another pair of babes, and I'm not big enough either (I was in maternity clothes- for comfort's sake- by now last time). My midwife will be able to confirm that it's a single in another two months or so, just by feel. As far as Allie is concerned, it is one baby, a girl, who will be named Eva "just like the other one". I wonder what she's going to do if Blinky turns out to be male? Ask God for an exchange?

Speaking of ultrasounds...can I just say that I find this new trend of on-demand ultrasound franchises makes me a little ill? ACOG still doesn't recommend routine ultrasound screening of low-risk women (even though the vast majority doctors order them, and most low-risk women get them anyway). It's never been tested for safety in regards to developing babies (I know, no one's complained that it hurt their baby, but how can you find out if something's wrong when you refuse to look?). Get this:
...the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine warns that although there
are no confirmed biological effects from prenatal ultrasounds, possible problems
could be identified in the future, especially because these unregulated scans
are longer, use more energy and can be more frequent.
..."Ultrasound is a
form of energy, and even at low levels, laboratory studies have shown it can
produce physical effects in tissue, such as jarring vibrations and a rise in
temperature," the FDA said. Because of this, "prenatal ultrasounds can't be
considered completely innocuous."


Nice. Funny, I don't remember any sort of informed consent happening when I got my early ultrasound with Allie...

Allie started preschool Monday. I'm not sure I like the program, or the teacher's assistant...ok, to be honest, I'm sure I don't like the TA, but it's a completely irrational feeling based on gut only. The program seems too structured for three-year-olds to me. But I'm giving it a chance, because first of all, they're early childhood educators and I'm not, and second, I just naturally resist structure and I have to remind myself that just because I don't like it doesn't mean it's evil. As much as I'd like to translate my preferences into moral law, I'll resist. It's harder than it sounds.

Ahhh I think I'm ready for that eye pillow. And bed.




No comments: