Monday, July 05, 2004

finally committing

So I'm getting baptized in two weeks. It's kind of freaking me out. When I mentioned to Doug, he made a joke about me "dodging the baptism bullet" for this long. The more I think about it, the more I wonder why I haven't gotten baptized before now. I mean, I've been more or less a christian for what, like 15 years or so? Why have I waited till now? I think I'm secretly afraid that one of two things is going to happen:

1) I get struck by lightning and die on the spot
2) God appears and gives me a "how dare you" speech

Now, the god I believe in would never ever do either of those things. So it's a completely irrational fear. But it's a strong irrational fear. Plus, the kids are going to be anointed with oil the same day. So I figure I'm going to be up in front of my church for about half an hour. My fear of attracting attention is not helping me be at peace about this.

Maybe I have waited because up until now, I was never really able to imagine myself really going through with it. I know that I'm way psyched that it's going to be at Minnehaha Falls, and not some sterile baptistry. I didn't want to get baptized at a church I didn't feel committed to and loved by. I guess I'm a bit of a commitment-phobe. But we are really part of a family now, and I finally feel like making it official.

On a purely bragging note, Allie was showing off pics she took with my digital camera to people at church, and it was suggested that we have an Art Lounge for her work- I think in seriousness, actually- one of the things I love about our SP family is that they don't patronize kids. I don't think she'd dig the idea just yet, but by the time she's 5, I'm betting she'll have done it. That's less than a year and a half from now! Zoinks!

Two funny things Michelle told me Allie said to her:
"Your teeth are growing!"
"Mommy's nursies are bigger than your nursies."

This kid is a nut. I love her to pieces.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Thanks Sarah. I stole the blog title from an Over the Rhine song ("Poughkeepsie", see post by that title for complete lyrics). Please feel free to comment anytime, or to email me (octoberbabies@yahoo.ca).

Anonymous said...

You know what will actually happen? You'll walk out into the water & realize how cold it is. Doug will dunk you. Everyone will cheer & clap. No lightning & no scary voices (well, except maybe Doug's). :) Just be sure to bring a towel & change of clothes so you don't spend the rest of the night freezing. - Rachel